Stuffed Pepper Recipe
This stuffed pepper recipe is always a winner! The sweet roasted pepper works really well with the tangy feta and the flavoursome pesto.
It is a really good stand alone dish - it's great to serve as the vegetarian option if you have a mixed group of meat eaters and vegetarians, as it works well with a variety of side dishes that you might be serving with the meat option.
It is a filling dish in it's own right, thanks to the potatoes - simply serve with a salad, or if you are looking for something more substantial, try serving it with a ciabatta or some garlic bread to complete the meal.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Recipe:
- 4 Red Peppers - look for a good sized pepper with a firm skin
- 225g / 1 cup New Potatoes
- 4 Generous Tablespoons Pesto (Good quality shop bought is fine!)
- 200g / 1.5 cups Feta Cheese
- 12 Green Olives (drained if originating from a jar)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Baking sheet - Lined with foil if your baking tray is not non-stick
- Medium Sized Saucepan
- Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board and Sharp Knife
- Pastry Brush
- Warm a saucepan and half fill it with boiling water. Add the potatoes and boil them for 12 minutes. Don't worry, they won't be fully cooked at this stage.
- Preheat oven to 200 oC / Gas Mark 6 / 395 oF
- Cut each pepper in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pith. Brush a little oil on the outside of each pepper with the pastry brush and lay them face up on the baking tray.
- Once the time is up, drain the potatoes and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the feta cheese into pieces approximately 2cm long and place them in the mixing bowl. Chop the olives in half and add to the bowl along with the pesto.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a little (they don't have to be cold, just cool enough to handle) cut the potatoes into pieces a little larger than the feta (aim for about 3 to 4 cm) and add them to mixing bowl. Give it a good stir so that everything is covered in pesto.
- Spoon the combined mixture into the pepper halves.
- Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes. The tops will go brown and the edges of the peppers might blacken - don't panic - this just adds to the sweetness of the peppers.