Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Chili con Carne originates from Texas, where it is in fact the designated official dish of the state. There have been thousands of versions of the chili recipe made over the years. This vegetarian chili recipe is loaded with vegetables and beans. The addition of sweet potato makes it really filling and satisfying, so only a small amount of rice is needed to be served with the dish. There is also a magic ingredient of chocolate to add richness and to counteract some of the spice.
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Printer Friendly Recipe
Ingredients for Vegetarian Chili Recipe:
- 1 Onion - Red or Brown
- 1 Medium Sized Sweet Potato (approx. 300g or 2 cups once chopped)
- 2 Bell Peppers - Colour of your choice
- 2 Large Field Mushrooms
- 25g or a 1oz square Dark Cooking Chocolate
- 2 x 400g / 14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g /14 oz canned beans of your choice - Kidney Beans and Chick Peas work well together
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes (according to taste - add even more if you like it extra hot!)
- 1 Clove Garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic puree
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 25g (or 1 cup) Fresh Coriander leaves (also known as Cilantro)
- Chopping board and Sharp Knife
- Large Saucepan (preferably non stick)
- Can opener
- Potato peeler
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into large chunks, approximately 3cm
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Deseed the peppers, and chop into bite sized pieces. If using fresh garlic, peel and crush the clove of garlic.
- Place the saucepan onto a medium heat and add the olive oil
- Add the onion, peppers, sweet potatoes and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir regularly to ensure that the vegetables don't burn.
- Add the spices and stir well. Cook for an extra 2 minutes
- Crumble the field mushrooms, or chop into very small pieces. Add these to the pan and give it all another good stir
- Drain the 2 cans of pulses and rinse well
- Roughly chop the coriander leaves
- Open the 2 cans of tomatoes and pour into the pan. Add the beans and the majority of the chopped coriander - saving a small amount for the end.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and add into the saucepan. Stir really well and leave to simmer for 30 minutes
- Check that the sweet potato is soft and cooked through. Once it is ready to serve, garnish with the remainder of the chopped coriander leaves
To keep this dish as vegan, serve it as it is on a bed of rice. Or if you prefer, add sour cream and grated cheese to the top and have a bowl of tortilla chips on the side to dip into the sauce.
Enjoy this vegetarian chili recipe